McClaren

> as Frisian isn't a global language yet

Moderators: Beheerders, Fanmasters

McClaren

Berichtdoor BANANA MAN » 06-05-2009 16:17

He's done quite well this season? A Champions League spot won.

What is his team like? Any good players? Will he stick around?

What is the opinion of him in the Netherlands?
"Eric is Bananaman, ever alert for the call of duty".
BANANA MAN
Nieuw talent

Re: McClaren

Berichtdoor Venderwel » 06-05-2009 16:26

He's done very well with FC Twente, he will stick around.
Yeah there are very good players there, question is, will they stick around now they've been in the spotlight?

Seems like a nice guy and the footbal he makes his team play is nice to watch, not the Italian defensive way all other teams in the world seem to play at the moment.
SKAILER ® the one and only Ski Trailer!
Venderwel
Superster

Berichtdoor Flying Frisian » 07-05-2009 16:17

His signing raised a few eyebrows here in The Netherlands, and that wasn’t based on his qualities, but on the fact that an English manager decided to work in a low league as the Eredivisie. This season McClaren inherited the difficult task te match the club's achievements of last season. Hands down to Stevie M, he made his side play better and more consistant football then they did last season. The biggest talents are left winger Eljerio Elia and striker Marko Arnautovic, but the team as a whole is the biggest quality of the club.

If he will stick around is hard to say, I think he will. I don´t think he´s the type of man(ager) that will wander through Europe like Sir Bobby Robson did. If he would leave the club, it’s for a club in England and I think that he wants that at the moment.

I feel sorry for McClaren about the way he’s been treated by the British press, it’s not like he was the only one responsable for the fact that you guys missed out on a summer with international football. That’s the way your press works I suppose, at least the regular slease-newspapers. A shame that a complete nation let’s itself dragged into mocking one of the nicest people I’ve seen in football, but those people are the easiest targets I suppose.
Flying Frisian
Superster

Berichtdoor BANANA MAN » 07-05-2009 16:35

Definitely - the Press here in England are pure evil scum. Once they turn on you then that is it.

McLaren fell foul of a couple of these journalists and in turn they turned the country against him.

Good luck to him I say.

What are the press like in the Netherlands?
BANANA MAN
Nieuw talent

Berichtdoor Blizzard » 07-05-2009 17:18

What are the press like in the Netherlands?

I guess they are less harsh than the English press. Tabloids like the Sun tend to write alot about the personal life of managers, players ect. In the Netherlands it's more about the football itself.

I know Steve McClaren has got a bad image in England after his failed Euro2008 campaign with the national team but here he's very much respected. He's doing a great job with FC Twente imo. Sure, he's got a great bunch of players to Eredivisie standards but he managed to make it a real squad. They play in an attacking 4-3-3 with two powerful tall centre backs, attacking fullbacks, a creative playmaker, two skilled wingers and a target man. They are a tough side, and we'll play them in the cup final :mrgreen:
Blizzard
Superster

Berichtdoor Flying Frisian » 07-05-2009 19:04

BANANA MAN schreef:Good luck to him I say.

I thought you weren't such a big fan of McClaren, judging from the reactions you posted on this forum before the system wiped out all of the submitted messages in the English section. As I said, he seems a proper gentleman and doesn't deserve this kind of treatment.

Question for you, is he still being mocked of is there barely any about McClaren in the Britisch media nowadays.
Flying Frisian
Superster

Berichtdoor BANANA MAN » 08-05-2009 10:28

Flying Frisian schreef: thought you weren't such a big fan of McClaren, judging from the reactions you posted on this forum before the system wiped out all of the submitted messages in the English section. As I said, he seems a proper gentleman and doesn't deserve this kind of treatment

No I think you are getting mixed up. He is a fine English gentlemen with lovely teeth.

Not much is written about him in the press here. They got what they wanted.

Now, it's Banana sandwich time washed down with a lovely Banana milkshake.
BANANA MAN
Nieuw talent

Berichtdoor Blizzard » 08-05-2009 10:36

Not much is written about him in the press here. They got what they wanted.

I guess the people in England don't care so much about the Dutch league hehe :D
Blizzard
Superster

Berichtdoor Hoho » 09-05-2009 20:19

Heard McClaren is off to Ajax
keep posted
stop staring at my avatar
Hoho
Selectiespeler

Berichtdoor BANANA MAN » 18-05-2009 10:16

Don't think so pal.
BANANA MAN
Nieuw talent

Berichtdoor BANANA MAN » 03-08-2009 16:36

Any more news on this Hoho?
BANANA MAN
Nieuw talent

Berichtdoor geert. » 03-08-2009 17:11

BANANA MAN schreef:Any more news on this Hoho?

He does well. Sporting - Twente 0-0 in the Champions Leauge qualification round. Sporting thought they would score a goal in the first half because goalie Boschker was send off and Sporting got a penalty. But his replacement Mihaylov stopped the penalty.

Sporting didn't create many chances and Blaise N'Kufo had the chance to score a goal for Twente in the dying seconds of the match.

So they did well.
geert.
Superster

Berichtdoor Gekko » 03-08-2009 18:43

Although imprtant players like Braafheid, Elia en Arnautovic are not available anymore, Twente plays very well this season. McClaren is doing a great job there.
Gekko
Superster

Berichtdoor BANANA MAN » 04-08-2009 13:10

Good stuff. Well done Steve.

Right, time for a Banana.
BANANA MAN
Nieuw talent

Berichtdoor BANANA MAN » 10-05-2010 17:00

Well done McClaren for winning the Dutch League. He has even mastered the language! :lol:

A great achievement although I hear he is now ready to go to a better league? :bfriend:

What do you guys think of him? He has become the forgotten man in England.
BANANA MAN
Nieuw talent

Berichtdoor Flying Frisian » 10-05-2010 19:36

I think Macca has been of great importance for FC Twente during his spell in Enschede. He has got a load of experience in top flight football, knows how to work with (both young and older) players and has a large network that can supply him with above average talented players. His experience helped the team to keep their heads cool when Ajax were closing the gap in the last matches of the season, kudos for that. However, one thing that annoyed me about McClaren was the praises he gave the upcoming opponent before the match. There's nothing wrong with that, but somebody with a working brain wouldn't take that rubbish serious.

In the Dutch media McClaren has been linked with German side VfL Wolfsburg and it looks that way that he'll be leaving FC Twente after two seasons. Makes me wonder if Joop Munsterman has another ace up his sleeve in terms of Steve's successor.
Flying Frisian
Superster

Berichtdoor BANANA MAN » 11-05-2010 10:03

Yeah Wolfsburg are well backed financially so that would be a big draw for him.

Shame if he misses out on Champions League football with FC Twente but a good opportunity for a new Manager coming in.
BANANA MAN
Nieuw talent

Keer terug naar English