For those traveling to Thessaloniki - a Guide

> as Frisian isn't a global language yet

Moderators: Beheerders, Fanmasters

For those traveling to Thessaloniki - a Guide

Berichtdoor Santus » 14-08-2009 12:08

Hoi there fellow Heerenveen fans :)

I noticed that there is a topic about the two EUROPA LEAGUE games between Heerenveen and PAOK in English already where we can exchange thoughts about who has a bigger… ehm… nose :P but that is not why I am typing this post. My Goal is to help those of you who have decided to visit our Country and our city (Thessaloniki) to watch the first leg on the 20th of August, in order to combine the Sport Entertainment with the tourist one!
Thessaloniki is the 2nd biggest city in Greece after Athens all the way up North and nowhere near our capital (Thank God!) It has been voted by a very famous French magazine (No need to say the name and advertise it here) to be amongst the ten most beautiful cities in the world back in the 90s. It is a seaside city with the 2nd biggest port in Greece and it is filled with archeological sites and museums with ancient Greek or Byzantine findings. The White tower on the seaside is the greatest monument of the city and it is part of the castled wall that runs through the city from North to South.
In order to avoid making this topic long and boring I will post a link to a good wiki website regarding the city for those that wish to learn more details and post a few links to some beautiful images that show the best parts of Thessaloniki:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thessaloniki
Photos
Aristotelous square by knight
Aristotelous square by day
Alexander the Great Statue
The White tower
Thessaloniki by day
Thessaloniki by night
Thessaloniki on a rainy day
Thessaloniki from above
Central folcloric market
Central folcloric market 2
Thessaloniki's castle walls by night
Another view of the Castle walls by knight
Thessaloniki's castle walls by day
a street in the Old town called Ano Poli(Upper city)
International Fair
Agia Sofia (Saint Sofia church)
Tsimiski Street (Best Shopping Spot)
The umbrella sculpture
The Kamara Arch
The Kamara Arch and Egnatia Street
Saint Gregory Palamas
DO:
Eat Souvlaki and Gyros sandwitch, It is cheap and tasty
Drink Ouzo… but slowly, its HOT!
Go out after 00:00 for clubbing and see why Greeks can’t work in the morning!
Go for a lazy and slow walk on the Seaside
At least visit the white tower and Castle wall if you don’t have time for more.

DON’T:
Take a taxi if you can help it… they tend to overcharge tourists
Swim anywhere near Thessaloniki. If you want to go for a swim visitChalkidiki. It is only an hour drive away
Wear Soccer shirts of other Greek football clubs (Especially Olympiakos or Panathinaikos) There is a good chance you will be attacked!

In any case I wish you a pleasant stay in our city and regarding the game I hope we will see quality soccer and many goals in both games
As for my team PAOK I think that this video describes exactly what you should be expecting: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oi6WxmO_4_o
PAOK Thessaloniki Macedonia Greece
Santus
Bankzitter

Re: For those traveling to Thessaloniki - a Guide

Berichtdoor chris4 » 18-08-2009 18:59

Hope you have a nice stay in Thessaloniki, how many Heerenveen fans will come for the match?
chris4
Bankzitter

Berichtdoor Santus » 21-08-2009 08:56

Is there a chance that we can get a simillar topic or reply for your city please? I think that many would be interested to learn about the interesting parts they can visit.
Santus
Bankzitter

Berichtdoor Caspar » 21-08-2009 09:36

First, take a loot at the Wikipages of: Heerenveen, Friesland and Amsterdam
and the Wikitravels ofAmsterdam and Friesland.

If you stay for a longer period in the Netherlands, you can spend most of the days in Amsterdam and The Hague (Den Haag). Heerenveen is a small town (populaion arround 25.000), with not that much to do and see. Spend the matchday (or afternoon) will be enough to look around.

Further: for traveling within the Netherlands you can best take the train (link).

Enjoy your journey!
Ladies and gentleman: We've got him!
Caspar
Superster

Berichtdoor Santus » 21-08-2009 09:44

Thank you Caspar :)
Santus
Bankzitter

Berichtdoor Venderwel » 21-08-2009 10:58

Casper....what do you mean spend most of the days in Amsterdam and The Hague? Sure...if you like the cities, also Sneek is een option then, ok it's a real small city, but a fun one.
But if you like nature, you'd better stay in Friesland for a while, with lots of rivers and lakes and all kind of fun stuff!
And you ofcourse forget the Gondelvaart in Aldeboarn at Fridaynight the 28th. http://www.gondelvaartaldeboarn.nl/ :mrgreen:
SKAILER ® the one and only Ski Trailer!
Venderwel
Superster

Berichtdoor Santus » 21-08-2009 12:08

Is Gondelvaart in Aldeboarn something like a fair/festival? It looks interesting
Santus
Bankzitter

Berichtdoor Venderwel » 21-08-2009 12:22

Yeah it's the anual fair of a small place (1500 people) called Aldeboarn, a town 14 km above Heerenveen.
I was just joking about it to put it here. But then again, you guys are very much welkom in my hometown! :mrgreen:

It is fun...lots of music and drinks!
Specially Friday night is fun I think, in a big tent there is a band playing called 'Heroes of Rock' the play all kinfs of 80's covers. You know, Europe, Guns and Roses, Van Halen,
And ofcourse the matinee Saturday morninge/afternoon...starting at 10am....drinks, drinks and some more drinks! :mrgreen:
SKAILER ® the one and only Ski Trailer!
Venderwel
Superster

Berichtdoor Santus » 21-08-2009 12:29

Venderwel schreef:Yeah it's the anual fair of a small place (1500 people) called Aldeboarn, a town 14 km above Heerenveen.
I was just joking about it to put it here. But then again, you guys are very much welkom in my hometown! :mrgreen:

It is fun...lots of music and drinks!
Specially Friday night is fun I think, in a big tent there is a band playing called 'Heroes of Rock' the play all kinfs of 80's covers. You know, Europe, Guns and Roses, Van Halen,
And ofcourse the matinee Saturday morninge/afternoon...starting at 10am....drinks, drinks and some more drinks! :mrgreen:

Rock, drinks and only 14Km away... I think it is very interesting for those staying a bit longer and not only for the game! Thanks for sharing.

btw has anybody who visited Thessaloniki returned? I would like to hear how your time in our city was and if you liked the atmosphere of the stadium :)
Santus
Bankzitter

Keer terug naar English